Saturday 27 April 2013

Spinning out of control



It's true I am but not in the way you think, its my new obsession. I got my spinning wheel for my birthday at the end of March and I have been spinning ever since. I also treated myself to a drum carder from Classic carders which was a very big treat luckily I had some birthday money to spend.




I am really enjoying spinning and I have so many fibres to try from wensleydale to merino to milk protein. I have loads of coloured merino from when i used to use it for wet felting to make bags, so I have been using it to practise. I also managed to buy some raw fleeces to make some lovely natural yarn I have a wensleydale all curly and very long, a brown alpaca, a white alpaca to dye, a hebridean, and a Shetland. Being raw I have to prepare them first washing and carding. So I have lots of work to do before I can spin them.


My first yarns are 'interesting lumpy' but i am getting better the more I practise.





6 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Do you read the knitsofacto blog, link on mine if not, she's thinking of spinning too and is asking for advice! Don't get too dizzy! :) x

Anonymous said...

Wow Sarah You are doing so well,what an achievment,so pretty.have a great day,Xxx

sustainablemum said...

Your home spun yarn looks fantastic!

Gillian Roe said...

It looks wonderful, lovely depth and mix of colour. Bet it's addictive too! x

Annie Cholewa said...

Woohoo! You're spinning!!

You may have read that I'm thinking of giving spinning a go ... any tips about wheel buying?

la said...

Wow can't believe you are spinning (and not the crazy cycle stuff either)...how cool is this, although it always makes me think of Sleeping Beauty, not sure why! xx